Last night I went with Melinda to my first ever fashion show! = ) She went to the Accra Polytechnic School, and every year the students in their final year design and sew 2 outfits to showcase at a fashion show. So she invited me to come along (she was invited by one of her friends who designed for it this year).
It was like a HUGE production! Well, first, she told me that everyone dresses to the nines for it…so I was a little concerned because I don’t have any nice clothes here. But with the help of Mandy (hmmm…I don’t know if help is the right word, considering my outfit and all of the accessories were hers), I was able to dress appropriately = ) Anyways…the fashion show was held at the National Theater, which is a BEAUTIFUL building that’s built to look like a large ship. The architecture’s so neat! And it was televised, had a celebrity host, and was a much bigger deal than I was expecting.
The tickets said that it started at 6 pm, so I met Melinda at her place at 4:30 and we caught a taxi to Accra (we were planning on taking a trotro…but Melinda didn’t wanna ride in a trotro all done up…haha). We got there a little before 6, but had to wait outside for her friend to arrive because Melinda had her ticket. She was getting worried because she wanted us to get good seats, but little did we know we had nothing to worry about! We got in at like 6:30ish and the place was almost empty. I guess everyone else knew that starting at 6 Ghana Standard Time meant it wouldn’t start until almost 8! By the time the show started…the place was packed.
It was really fun…there was lots of entertainment (dancing…salsa of all things…haha…and singing) along with the modeling of the designs. And some of the dresses were amazing! Like total Project Runway winner status. There were also some really creative designs, although some were verging on being too costumey. Unfortunately, since the show started so late, it began to drag as the hour got later. Some of the audience made it very clear that they were over it, and they had to rush the second half of the show (I feel bad for those designers, considering how much work I’m sure they put into this night). But at the same time I was kind of relieved because if they had continued at the pace of the beginning of the show, it honestly wouldn’t have ended until like 2 or 3 am. As it was, it didn’t end until 11ish…and I was very tired…but one of Melinda’s friend’s boyfriend had driven, and they lived in Adenta, so we were so fortunate to get a ride home = )
No comments:
Post a Comment