Monday, March 12, 2012

Change in Perspective

I laughed to myself, today, as I remembered how we teachers went off at lunch (in Hawaii) about how it was so wrong for school to stay in session when the power went out (in our defense…the classrooms were REALLY dark, even with the windows open).  Oh my goodness, if we were released from school every time the power went out, we’d be going home a LOT!  Today it was pretty miserable, though…the office was STIFLING!  I felt bad for those poor kids having to still learn and those poor teachers having to still teach.  I remember when it was really hot in our classrooms at home, the kids would get so cranky (and so would I).  But everyone here still seemed in good spirits = )  I even asked Audrey, one of the first grade teachers, and she said the kids were fine.

It was actually a really fun afternoon.  Because the inside of the office was so hot, once school was out, we spent most of our time out front of the office.  It made everyone a little more relaxed than usual (or maybe the heat was just getting to our heads…haha = ), so we danced Azonto and laughed and had a good ol’ time = )

At about 5:30, when I was getting ready to go home, Aunty Aggie asked me if I knew the rules for volleyball because the boarders were trying to play on Sunday, but didn’t really know the rules.  I told her I knew the basics…so she told me I’d explain them to the kids…haha = )  Well…I was out there kinda helping them for a bit when Seth came down and took over (apparently he was the one who got the whole volleyball thing started because he’s a good player and has coached before and stuff.  Thank goodness…since my volleyball skills are…shall we say - lacking).  So I filled in an assistant role with Terry (they’re the two sixth grade teachers who are basically joined at the hip…haha = ), and it was SO fun!  It was great to see a sport where the girls (all of them - big or small) were just as enthusiastic and involved as the boys = )  We ended up staying until way after dark (which was super dark because of lights out), and the kids were still playing = )  I felt so bad leaving them in that big school with no lights and no electricity…but they said they’re used to it.

Just a little side note: It’s so weird!  When I had to brush my teeth with sashay water (the little bags of water) because we didn’t have any running water, I couldn’t make myself drink the water as I was brushing.  It used to be that I always had to remind myself to not drink as I brushed (for some reason I’m always really thirsty when I finish brushing my teeth), but now I’m so used to it it’s the other way around!

2 comments:

  1. I think your perspective is going to have changed on many, many things by the time you get back :) I can't wait to have you teach me new things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...uh-oh...pressure ; ) We'll see...I'll do my best = )

      Delete