Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Song of the Righteous Is a Prayer Unto Me

Today was a wonderful Sunday!  Actually, I didn’t feel very well for most of church (it was almost unbearably hot)…but it was still really good = )  It was ward conference, so it was super packed!  The stake president came and spoke on temples and family history work; the bishop also spoke, but I missed most of his talk because I was out with Mandy and Chichi.  There has been such an emphasis on going to the temple here.  From what I’ve gathered from talking to people and the words of the leaders, there was so much excitement when the temple was announced and built, but actual attendance hasn’t matched that enthusiasm.  Why do we, as humans, always do that?!  We want something so badly when we don’t have it; we want it, we need it, we obsess about it.  And then we get it, and so quickly we take it for granted.  Or, the other way around, we have something precious, but because it’s always there we’re not grateful for it.  It’s only after it’s gone that we realize the value of the thing or person.  I’m so trying to not live that way anymore, but it’s hard!

Sunday School was taught by Thankgod…I thought the name needed mentioning = )  It was on the Doctrine of Christ (2 Nephi 31-33).  I know I’ve read it plenty of times before, but the simplicity and thoroughness in explaining why we need to be baptized and how we achieve eternal life really stuck out to me this time.  It’s so hard to endure to the end and not get frustrated and give up, but we need to keep trying our best, and repenting when we make mistakes, because it’ll so be worth it in the end.

I think one of the reasons why it was such a good day is because Chuks had church music playing the ENTIRE day (and no TV or anything).  It brought such a sweet Spirit to the home; I loved it!  I just felt so uplifted and happy.  Life gets discouraging, but it’s so much easier when we are making righteous choices that allow the Spirit to be our constant companion.  We receive needed guidance, added joy, and extra strength and support.


Oh yeah…and I forgot to write about this yesterday…but on my walk (it was actually really nice to be going at the slower pace…I was able to observe so much more) I saw some guys who looked like they were about to build a brick wall.  But, at the moment I saw them, they were actually making the bricks!…right on the side of the road, between the road and the edge of the “yard”.  They had this mold and a container of water and a pile of…not sure…I guess powdered cement?…and they were just laying them in rows to dry.  It was pretty incredible!



These buildings are across the street from the stake center.  I took the pictures a long time ago...but for some reason never posted them.  It's so interesting...so many of the buildings are like this...where you can't tell if they're being built or if they're falling apart.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your encouraging words, sweetie. I'm glad you had a happy, inspiring day. You know, your statement, "Life gets discouraging, but it’s so much easier when we are making righteous choices that allow the Spirit to be our constant companion. We receive needed guidance, added joy, and extra strength and support", is almost word for word what John Hunsaker said in church today, after some wonderful talks on personal revelation, including a talk by your sissy, Chisa! (and yes, she passed her road test!! But, we have to go all the way back to Kapolei tomorrow again to actually get the license. Well, that's another story, but I suppose we should just think about how easy it is for us to get to Kapolei, compared to going places in Ghana; as a matter of fact, as I think about it, I'm so sorry that I got upset about having to go back over there. It really isn't hard!)
    Some sad news, Jac -- you know Mary Smith (our sweet friend who lives across Stacy's house, and Amber's grandma)? She passed away! Her funeral is next week Wednesday.
    Love you sweets! mommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa...that's so crazy! I always knew that John Hunsaker was a wise man...haha ; ) So bummed I missed Chisa's talk!...but so happy she passed! That's crazy!!!! She's gonna be a driver when I get home!
      I'm so sorry to hear about Mary Smith = (...I know she wasn't healthy for a while though, so I'm sure she's happy being back to perfect health now.
      Thanks for the updates! LOVE YOU TOO!!!!

      Delete