Sunday, March 18, 2012

Part 1 of the Best Day Ever

I said that the waiting time for the bus was an experience all on its own, so here it is.  When we got to Adenta Barrier, we found out that we would probably be waiting for awhile.  So we went to a “joint” so that we could have a place to sit.  This consisted of going into the little restaurantish place…grabbing a couple of plastic chairs and wiping them down because they were super dirty…bringing them outside where it was cooler…and ordering drinks (because we had to be paying customers).  So we just sat and chatted for awhile.  

But pretty soon I got caught up watching all of the busy activities happening right outside of the fence we were sitting behind.  There were so many comings and goings, it was really interesting to see how these people were living their day-to-day lives, when it’s so different from the life I’m used to.  I wondered, as I watched the trotro drivers, if they get bored doing the same exact thing day after day.  And watching the ladies selling items that they carried on their heads, I wondered, 1) how they were able to carry and balance such heavy loads on their heads and 2) if they always lived in worry, wondering if they’d sell enough that day to make ends meet.  It was hard when I saw that many of them were just girls, some of them young girls.  But my heart was lifted when I saw them dancing (there were huge speakers next to where we were sitting playing loud music) and laughing with each other.  I don’t think I’ll ever get over how positive and resilient these people are.  

Or how resourceful.  So, I was kind of bummed seeing so much trash everywhere I looked.  I can’t say I blame them - there are no trash cans anywhere.  But it’s still so hard for me to see how it’s just the natural reaction of everyone to drop their rubbish wherever.  But, one taxi pulled into the driveway of the joint we were at, and helped the lady get a whole bunch of pans and containers of food out of the back.  One pan had spilled over the edge, so he bent down and found some littered napkins and such, and used them to wipe out his trunk.  So I guess it serves a purpose sometimes…haha

I was also impressed with the way one of the girls working at the joint went out front and started sweeping the trash away.  At first it looked like she was just sweeping the dirt, and I wondered again about why they do that (actually, the dirt was looking a lot nicer once it was swept, almost like the lines on just-vacuumed carpet).  But then I realized she was sweeping the rubbish away.  I would be so frustrated, having to do that all the time when I could be saved so much work if people just didn’t litter.  But she just did it, and didn’t seem angry or frustrated.  I think this is one of the things that I love and have a hard time with here.  People are so willing to work extra hard, just because that’s what’s necessary (for example, you have to wash your dishes twice - once after you’re done eating, and again before you eat because the dishes are probably covered with a thin layer of dirt).  But there also seems to be a mentality of just doing because that’s how it’s been done, rather than questioning and finding more efficient ways to do something.  But I dunno…there’s probably plenty that I do just because…but don’t realize it because it seems normal to me.

I also wanted to share about my experience using the “toilet.”  So…shocker…I had to pee really badly after drinking my Alvaro, so Brah Ema kindly asked the worker inside if they had a bathroom.  She said that they hadn’t installed it yet, but I could go in the stall.  But there were no doors, so it looked like it wasn’t gonna work after all.  Then someone said that there was a wooden flap on one, so I could use that.  I walked in and there was just dirt and stones (all wet), and a pretty horrible stench.  So I walked out.  But then I felt stupid and snotty…so I walked back in chanting to myself, “You can do this.”  Brah Ema was so nice and came over to put a stone in front of the “door” so it wouldn’t flap open.  I was very glad that I had a pack of pocket tissues with me = )  And hey, it was better than having no place to go at all.  While we were on the bus I kinda had to go…and that brought back memories of having to pull a bus over, in both Hawaii and Japan, because I had to go…and I was SO glad I had gone before because I definitely wouldn’t have made it…and I’d like to keep my pulling-buses-over-to-pee-in-different-countries tally to two ; )



This is where we enjoyed drinks and shade (it was SO hot!)  You can see the speakers in the background.  This was before Brah Keke, Brah Lartey, Brah Ema, Ampadu, and George joined us.

The view from where were sitting.  Those are all trotros lined up, waiting for passengers.

You can sorta see the girl carrying the bucket of water on her head to the right.  This was before I got up the nerve to ask if I could take pics of them.  I was seriously sitting there for like twenty minutes trying to work up the nerve!

When I first asked, they said, "No."  I had almost convinced them when a guy came over saying that he was in charge, and that they would only be in a picture if I paid him 10 cedis.  I got a little nervous, and told him I didn't have 10, but I'd give him 1.  He said 2...and right then Brah Ema showed up and saved me.  He said the guy was just joking...phew!  The girls were still unsure...but after I took the first one and showed it to them...

they were eager to take another one...and even followed my posing advice = )

Jacob, the one on the right, is the one who gave me the scare, making me think he was the "pimp."  After I had taken the girls' pics...he wanted me to take one of him and his friends...haha = )  To the left is a cell-phone kiosk in a box.

This is my bathroom...and the rubbish out front of the joint.

And this is the pit of rubbish...

...and close up.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you had such a wonderful day and learned so much!! Your nephew is singing Nephi's courage for about the seventeenth time today (I know I am prone to exaggeration but no joke)

    ReplyDelete