Saturday, April 21, 2012

We Found Love In a Hopeless Place


When I moved home from college and was learning how to adjust to fit into the dynamics of the family at home, I had a difficult time.  I was a different person and they were all different people; I wasn’t used to living with them and they weren’t used to living with me.  I especially had a hard time getting along with Ayo.  We were so similar that we clashed!  We would often get into these huge arguments, and we’re so stubborn that neither of us would back down.  We’re also both so sensitive that little disagreements could become very emotional and heated.

But it didn’t take long for those similarities to become the binding that tied us so tightly together that we became inseparable.  If I went somewhere without her, someone would always ask where my “other half” was.  Our similarities meant that we loved doing the same things, said the same things at the same time, and loved talking to each other because we had a lot of similar opinions.  We were best friends…and said that we would get married when we found guys who were like the other.

Funny thing…she married my twin (okay…not really…he actually has a real-life twin…but he’s, like, me in male form).  I am so grateful because he’s SO good to her and for her…and she deserves nothing less than exceptional!

She is always thinking about ways to serve and bless others.  I still have these texts on my phone that she sent me every day for a week straight when I was going through a hard time.  Each day it was a new thing that she admired about me, and they were so detailed and thoughtful.  And when I first moved home and was a poor college graduate with no clothes, she graciously allowed her wardrobe to be mine also - and in a house full of girls that’s HUGE! ; )  I remember, once, I needed a shower in Kaneohe because I wanted to play rugby in the morning and attend a baptism at the Stake Center at like 11.  There was no way I’d have time to go home to Kailua in between.  And if you know me and my sports, I would’ve been really bummed if I had to miss rugby.  So Ayo kindly let me intrude on her boyfriend’s home and use his shower.  When I got there, she knew I would be in a rush, so the towel was laid out already, and the shower was stocked with great products.  And then, when I got out, she had made me a portable, DELICIOUS breakfast burrito that I could eat in the car since she knew I’d be hungry after playing all morning.  I was overwhelmed by her kindness and thoughtfulness!

Ayo is BEAUTIFUL!!!!  She always has been, and I was always so honored whenever someone said we looked alike = )  She also has such great style, and taught me how to shop (haha…I don’t know if I should be grateful for that or not ; ) and dress myself.  I’ll often put together an outfit, only to realize that my style inspiration totally came from her = )  For my birthday one year, she helped me get ready for my party by shopping for an outfit with me and curling my hair (which I totally am so bad at, which is unfortunate because I love my hair curled that way), even though it took her a long time and got her all sweaty.  But that’s just Ayo…she’s always willing to help someone else try to be as pretty as her = )

Ayo is HILARIOUS!!!!  It’s funny to me when people think she’s quiet and reserved because SHE IS NOT!  She’s the biggest drama queen around…and her acting chops include great comedic timing - humor! ; )  When you’re with her, you’re gonna have a great time.  She brings so much life and energy and laughter to all that she does (except when she’s stressed about her wedding…haha ; )  I always want Ayo there, whether we’re playing a board game or going to the beach, because she’ll make things so much more fun…chanting “Yahtzee, Yahtzee, Yahtzee” or going along with my crazy beach workouts…haha = )  I’m digressing from the topic of this paragraph, but speaking of going along with my crazy workouts, she’s my reliable Zumba partner, my P90X partner, my running partner…and she even came with me to play ultimate Frisbee even though she hates it.  If there’s a way to my heart, it’s definitely through exercising with me = )

I could go on and on about her incredible qualities and talents - she’s the best singer I know (I used to bribe her to sing for me), so musically talented in other ways…like song-writing and piano playing, the best listener, huge-hearted (I don’t know if that’s a real term…but when describing Ayo it must be), an amazing artist, brilliant, a quick learner, a great healthy cook = ), a perfectionist…in a good way = ), persistent, hard-working…like I said, could go on and on.  But the best thing about Ayo is that when you have her in your corner rooting for you, any happiness, sadness, excitement, disappointment, accomplishment, failure that you have is her own.  She is so selfless in the way she always wants the best for me, even if it’s not the best for her.  She laughs with me, cries with me, and buoys me up.  We’ve had our ups and downs, but now I understand why guys are always best friends after they get in a fight with each other.  It’s been the great times that have bonded us (oh gosh…saying that is reminding me of a certain bathroom-cleaning incident that we got to share together…haha! = ) and the hard times that have sealed that bond, so that nothing could EVER break us apart.  My Ayo-lyn…I LOVE YOU SO MUCH and am SO grateful that God placed us in the same family so that we can be together forever! = )  Happy birthday sister!!!!

My BEAUTIFUL sister = )







3 comments:

  1. You Sawada sisters are all so sweet, whenever we are together I always wish that we had grown up closer. There's still time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure Andrea :) I love that technology helps so much and then we have eternity :)
      What a sweet tribute to Ayo :)

      Delete
  2. Jaclyn,
    I can't even tell you how much this means to me. It made me happy and sad, laugh and cry, but most of all, SOOOO incredibly grateful to have you. We have definitely had our ups and downs but I admire you so much and don't know where I would be without you. I love you like crazy and miss you like crazier! We definitely gotta figure out a way to see each other sometime this year :) You are such an incredible person and I strive to be more like you, seriously. Thank you for loving me sister! And for taking the time to write this. It made me feel so special and it was so fun to be reminded of those memories. I had forgotten about some of them! The Bathroom Incident of '11 was particularly enjoyable :) LOOOOOOVVVEEEE YOOOOUUU!!!

    ReplyDelete