Saturday, March 10, 2012

Ultimate Frisbee

Yup…you heard me right.  Today, instead of my normal Saturday run, because I got out of the house later than I had planned (Mandy made the most delicious lunch - her variation of red-red), I decided to not lose another battle to the afternoon sun and went for a long walk instead.  And then afterwards I went to play ultimate Frisbee with the kids!  This was quite remarkable, considering yesterday when I showed them the Frisbees (Emmanuel and Natasha brought them from the US…and he wanted me to introduce them to the kids), I don’t think one had ever thrown one…and most didn’t even know what it was.

Yesterday, I started with the basics, showing them how to hold it, which way was up, and how to throw it.  The older boys kinda passed in an organized circle, while the younger boys were just throwing like crazy, and therefore running like crazy to catch the crazy passes…haha = )  But throwing the Frisbee quickly gave way to playing football (it was, after all, football Friday = )

Today, I went to the school because Aunty Aggie is super stoked about the Frisbees, and wanted me to practice with the kids some more.  So we threw for a long time, and this time I was helping the younger boys, so they were throwing with a lot more control.  But again, everyone wanted to play football after awhile, so we switched sports.  But after a couple hours, Aunty Aggie came out and said, “I haven’t seen the kids playing Frisbee ball yet.”  I was like, “I know…we threw around earlier, but they wanted to play football.”  But she wanted to see an ultimate Frisbee game.  Luckily, I had already explained the rules to the Form 3 boys, so I jumped in with them and we played a trial game, so that everyone could learn from watching them.  And they picked it up really quickly!  The younger boys formed teams, and started rotating in (I was always on the new team).  It was SO fun…and they loved it!  It was funny…they were surprised by how tired they got…I was even surprised!  I forgot what a freakin’ good workout it is!  After about an hour, I had to leave because it was pretty much dark…and they were STILL playing!  And it was so cute because all of the girls and other kids, as well as Aunty Aggie, of course = ), were watching from the sidelines and balconies, and all over.  Very cool = )

4 comments:

  1. Hey you!! Little did the Golden Sunbeam Montessori School know what a package they were getting when they got you, huh?? Besides all the amazing things you are learning, what a wonderful blessing you've been, sharing talents in PE, Language Arts, IT, Math, Music, Psychology (being so friendly and nice to everyone, no matter their station in life), and probably lots more! Way to go, missy!! love you, mommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh...I wish! There have been so many times when I've thought, "I wish I knew or had learned more about that!" Just puts into perspective how important it is to learn and grow and develop in every way possible...so that we can accomplish the greatest good that the Lord would have us do.

      Delete
  2. spreading ultimate frisbee around the world :) If you hear about other Ghanaians playing it may be because of you?? Kinda cool to think about ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I hadn't thought of that! That would be SO cool! = )

      Delete