The whole day I was just waiting until 4 o’clock, when Ghana would be playing Zambia in the semifinals of the Africa Cup of Nations. I kept myself busy preparing some templates that’ll, hopefully, make keeping track of the payment of fees a less painful process = ) At 4, the assembly hall filled up pretty quickly as we all gathered around a, like, 24-inch television to watch the match (there were probably like 40 teachers and students). In the first ten or so minutes of the game, we all cheered as Ghana was given a penalty in the box, and Asamoah Gyan (this SUPER hot Ghanaian player who also happened to be the originator of Azonto!…yes…I’m planning on marrying him = ) went up to take it. I was so happy for him to get to redeem himself because he was the one who missed in the penalty shootout at the World Cup against Uruguay, and Mandy said that everywhere you went, people were talking about him in not-so-nice ways. He ran up to the ball looking like he was gonna kick it to the left side of the goal, and at the last second opened up his hip wide and shot to the right. It was perfectly on target, about a foot inside the pole…and the keeper saved it! = ( It was so disappointing and I felt so bad for him - but there was still a whole game to make up for it, so I wasn’t worried. Ghana played beautifully, and had possession about 80% of the game. They weren’t playing with much urgency, which got a little frustrating at times, and they were missing all of their chances - but I knew it would come. But it didn’t. And Zambia scored in the last 10 minutes. And we couldn’t equalize. It was SOOOOOOOO sad = ( So yeah…that’s my depressing entry for today, which is why I decided to add this adorable video that I took of class 6 in music class with the music teacher Goscomorow (sp? - so funny…first time I met him, he said his name…which was a short local name…but said his nickname was Goscomorow so I could call him that…haha - nickname with 4 syllables?! = )
what a sad game!! But the video is cute :) Do people have cameras there??
ReplyDeleteI know...but some people have been saying it's a good thing because there would've been a lot of deaths had they made it to the finals - between fights over calls and plays...and the celebrating. Apparently people go CRAZY here! Chad said that even just in the pool play games - he could here the cheering from town...a mile away!
DeleteBut yeah...not that I've noticed. Like Mandy has one...but I haven't seen any others...and people get really excited when I show`them the pics I take of them