Terry and I are getting the awesome experience of tutoring
one of his students after school. The
boy, named John, just started at our school in the middle of the term. When he was put in Terry’s class, we knew
he’d need some special attention because he can’t read, speak English, or do
basic math. This is surprising,
considering the fact that he’s already finished Form 3 (the equivalent of 9th
grade).
In Ghana, after Form 3, you take the BECE exams. These are rigorous national exams that are
given in all subjects: math, English, integrated science, ICT, Twi, French,
religious & moral education, BDT (sewing, catering, and technical skills),
and social studies. The secondary high
school you go to depends upon the scores you receive on this exam, so there is
a lot riding on them. The kids
definitely understand and feel the pressure (I watched a girl who looked like
poo stay for the mock exams while she had malaria). I didn’t understand why it was such a big
deal until Terry explained it to me in greater detail. He said that in Ghana, it’s all about your
connections. The schools that everyone
wants to go to, the ones that you need good scores to get into, are the ones
that have had “big people” (past presidents, business moguls, etc.) go
there. So, if you attend that school,
you’ll automatically be linked into a network that will provide you
opportunities later in life. Plus, those
“big people” go back to their schools and donate money and resources, so the
schools boast better education, facilities, amenities, etc. Of course, you can always go to a private
school, if your parents can afford it, since they want more students because it
equals more money, but the schools that would accept you don’t have big names,
so you wouldn’t have the same connections, and therefore opportunities, later
in life.
So, back to John.
He’s already finished Form 3, but he failed his BECE exams. He was living in Kumasi before coming here
and went to a public school (most public schools don’t provide good, if any,
education as they are overcrowded – think 100 students per class – and lack
funds for textbooks and other classroom materials). Recently, his dad came back into the
picture. He’s a wealthy man who lives in
London, and wants John to come live with him eventually. In the meantime, he’s brought John to live in
his home (mansion) here in Adenta so that he can get a better education. He’s paying for his school fees in the hopes
that John will be able to get up-to-speed.
But when the school was placing him, they didn’t think they could put
him in a grade lower than 6th for fear of embarrassing him too much,
so that’s how he ended up in Terry’s class.
Unfortunately, if you stick a child who can’t read in any grade above
Kindergarten/first grade, they’re not going to be successful because they’re
not learning phonics. He would’ve been
just as successful being placed with kids his own age because when you can’t
speak French, French 201 is just as confusing as French 500.
Needless to say, Terry and I were worried about him. He wasn’t making friends and socializing (how
could he when he doesn’t speak English) and he wasn’t having success in
class. He seemed pretty miserable, and
Terry was concerned he’d drop out. So,
he started spending the breaks talking to him in Twi so that John would feel
comfortable opening up. That’s when
Terry found out John’s history, and the fact that his father wants him to get
an after-school tutor. I had already
worked with John, teaching him some basic math, so he knew me and was hinting
that he wanted us to tutor him.
Well, we began last week, and it’s been so rewarding! Terry and I make a pretty awesome team, if I
do say so myself ; ) I teach phonics, he
interprets in Twi when he can tell John is lost, he teaches math, and we both help
him with his English speaking. John
didn’t know the sound that a single letter in the alphabet makes, and couldn’t
even read “cat” when first started, but after 3 days, he’s already reading 3
letter words (with a lot of help, but he’s catching on fast). And seeing Terry teaching is so fun for
me. He has such a great way of breaking
things down in simple ways that are easy to understand. And he’s been sweet in communicating to me
that the feeling’s mutual.
Kana, I am so happy you are blogging again! I'm now officially caught up on your adventures. :). Hugs and love to you and Terry!
ReplyDeleteAunty Kathryn...you are TOOOOOOO sweet! And wow...good work getting caught up so quickly! I've got a couple more entries that I'll post soon = ) And I'll pass on the hugs and the love = D
ReplyDelete