Wednesday, March 13, 2013

On the Plane Again (sorry!...more out of order!...this is from September)


I don’t know.  Something about my Europe layovers are very difficult.  I’m feeling similarly to the way I felt the first time I came over.  It’s like this feeling of being lost; the realization that I’m in a foreign place and so far from home.  My layover in San Fran (though 6 ½ hours) went by quite quickly.  I actually enjoyed the time to myself (maybe it was because I was texting and talking to family for much of the time…so I wasn’t really alone).  But here…I feel SO alone.  I’m not to Terry yet and I’m far from the rest of my family, a lost wanderer. 

On the bright side, the flight to Frankfurt was awesome!  I was dreading it because, when I did it backwards coming home from Ghana, it was never-ending.  But this time I slept really well and comfortably, had the cutest pregnant couple as seatmates, and the time went by quickly.  Which is kinda surprising because the seats were TINY and the service was not-so-good (surprising for international flights!…but not-so-surprising considering it was United - no offense to anyone!).  But yeah…besides having a great flight, I experienced a miracle.  Lufthansa is on strike right now.  The couple by me was actually supposed to fly Lufthansa home to Frankfurt, but were put on my flight when theirs was cancelled.  The husband, who works for World Vision, so travels in Africa a lot, said that the connection from Frankfurt to Accra is Lufthansa Airline (even though it’s listed as United on my itinerary…it’s code share, whatever that means).  So he told me I’d most likely be stuck in Frankfurt for a couple days.  We were 9 hours from Frankfurt, so I had the time to work myself to a heart attack, but I just felt really calm.  I said a prayer, and felt the strength of the Priesthood blessing I’d received from Bishop.  While we were taxiing, he got on his iPad and checked Lufthansa’s website.  He started scrolling through the list of at least a hundred flights that were cancelled, but when we got to 14:10 (the time of my flight), 4 flights at that exact time were cancelled, but none of those was mine!  I was so overjoyed and grateful (and am feeling pretty guilty right now for complaining so much in the first paragraph)!

But, unfortunately, some lessons are hard to learn and I’m still going to complain (sorta) once more = /  I had to go through security again here in Frankfurt.  I wasn’t prepared, so my water bottle was still full!  But they were so nice and let me drink in there (although, by the end of the bottle, I felt like I was going to vomit water…haha…and now have had to pee quite a few times - oh…but on the long flight, I only had to go twice!…which was a relief since I was in the window seat = ).  But then they had to take everything out of my rolling duffel because they said it was too tightly packed for the machine to read (go Dad!!!!).  As I watched him take things out I wanted to stop him and be like, “My dad packed that and I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to get it all back in.”  But since I couldn’t do that, I just watched intently so that I could study what was coming from where.  Between the concentrated stare and my nervousness over repacking it, I probably looked really suspicious!  But I’m glad to report that I was passed safely through and got everything back in (though it now leans funny when it’s standing and my tote that I rest on it keeps falling off while I’m walking). 

So all in all, a great travel experience! = )  Just ready for it to be over! = )

No comments:

Post a Comment