We just had two experiences where I was shocked by the price
tag, and very pleased, to say the least.
The first was our electricity bill.
We share it with the house next to us (it’s not exactly a house...the
living space is shared by three families – there’s a strip of rooms, a common
cooking area outside, and a shared toilet and bath down at the end of the
strip). Terry told me that the combined
bill was 200 cedis. I started to freak
out, but then he laughed and went on to say that it was only 17 cedis. That means that our portion of the bill is
about 3 cedis (with the exchange rate right now, that’s about $1.50)! Can you imagine if that was your electricity
bill?!
Yesterday, we went to get our brakes fixed because they’ve
been squeaking for quite some time now.
I learned the hard way that squeaking brakes should be fixed sooner than
later. As the mechanic, who charged me
over $700, explained to me, when your brakes are squeaking, it means your brake
pads need to be changed. If you wait too
long, the brake pads get completely worn through, which means that you end up
with metal grinding against metal. When
this happens, you have to replace those parts as well. And that’s, supposedly, why he had to charge
me so much. Now, I know nothing about
cars, so don’t take this as doctrine.
This is just what I understood from what the mechanic explained to
me. Anyway, I knew we wouldn’t be paying
that much, but I was still concerned that the quote would be over our car
maintenance budget.
Now, I think I should explain, before I go on, what the
fitting shops are like here (that’s what they call the auto shops). When I first got here, I thought they were
junk yards. They are open spaces of
dirt, with a bunch of broken down cars strewn across the lots. There’s usually a small wooden/corrugated
metal shack somewhere on the property.
And then there are one or two men working on cars, and a handful of men
sitting or standing around, usually in a shady spot.
So back to the story. The first guy we went to said it would be
between 20 and 40 Ghana cedis. I hid my
excitement, but when Terry and I consulted on the side, I told him I thought it
was a good price. He said he didn’t like
the way the guys were smiling…haha…so he wanted to check another place. You see, we’re SO used to prices being jacked
up because they see my color. At the
second place, they needed 1 cedi to go pick up the, ummm, I guess the brake
pads. The pads were 6 cedis. And that’s all they charged! 7 cedis!!!! (Okay, Terry knew the guys, so they didn’t
charge labor, but he said they would’ve only charged 4 or 5 cedis)
Wow, that is kind of a twist, being that they are not use to your color of nationality. I guess though, you would be the minority their in Ghana. I guess you probably know that my son Malu is on a mission in Uganda, Kampala, South Africa. He is currently in Ethiopia.
ReplyDeleteI would think is is refreshing to be in a humble place of living, but at the same time, it is such a different way of living. So nice to be apart of your blog. Love, Sister Gibson
I do! I love reading his emails! It sounds like there are quite a few similarities between here and there. It's true...the humility and living conditions of those around you make it practically impossible to feel self-pitying for long...haha = ) I'm so glad you're enjoying the blog! Miss you!!!!
ReplyDelete