Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I'm Not an Infant Anymore (second blog entry for November)


It is so good to finally feel like I can accomplish the mundane, everyday tasks that I used to be able to do in my sleep, on my own.  What do I mean by this?  I mean that, when you’re learning to live in a new place, in a new way, everything becomes, well, new.  

Let’s take getting ready in the morning.  It used to be that this was a routine that I had down to an art.  I knew exactly what time I needed to wake up in order to be ready to leave for work, church, sports, going out, etc. on time.  Now, this took me many years to figure out, as I used to be perpetually late (okay, and still am sometimes), but I finally figured it out.  But now, the time we leave the house is as predictable as the weather in Utah.  It’s almost like a lottery every day – will we win an on-time departure or not?  And this is because tasks as simple as brushing my teeth, washing my face, and flushing the toilet are so different without running water.  Putting on makeup and ironing clothes (yeah...I actually iron now.  It’s a necessity when you dry your clothes by hanging them on a line or laying them on the grass) is impossible when it’s “light off” (meaning there’s no electricity).  Preparing breakfast…without grab-and-go options (like a bag of cereal or a Vitatop)…when you’re already running late…can set you back even more.  And this doesn’t even include the work that Terry does fetching water for us, burning the trash, sweeping (which has to be done outside every day here, although we’re so lucky because the old lady next door usually does it for us in exchange for bread), scrubbing dishes, wiping down the car, or whatever else needs to be done in the morning.

Then there’s coming home in the evening.  Again, “light off” is common, but even with electricity, cooking (which I already was, uh, a bit of a novice at) is a completely new world with new ingredients, a burner that you light with a match, no running water, your hand as a chopping board, etc.  Washing dishes without running water is something that was a real struggle.  Bathing is also very different without running water.  Getting work done can be challenging without internet access.  And, you get the picture…maybe…well, probably not really…but kind of.

Needless to say, the adjustments have been many, and some have been very challenging.  But with Terry’s help and patience, I feel like I’ve figured out a new normal.  It’s so nice to finally feel like a capable grown-up again! = )  Now, I don’t even accidentally reach for the faucet to turn it on (we have faucets and such, there’s just no pipes to feed water to the faucets).  Now, I actually really enjoy brushing my teeth and washing my face with our little pail or a sachet of water.  Now, I actually love taking bucket baths, and Terry said I’m now rinsing like a Ghanaian = D (rinsing is always the most difficult part for me, whether it’s washing myself, dishes or clothes, especially when I’m rinsing my arms – you kinda have to hold the pail at a peculiar angle with the arm that you’re trying to rinse while you use your other hand to rub the soap off ).  Now, when it’s light off, it hardly phases me; I just choose a different outfit, put my makeup on with a prayer, feel around for the nearest flashlight, etc.  Washing dishes and cooking are still coming along, but we got these buckets to put in the sink that makes rinsing much easier, so I can finally choose to wash dishes on my own if I want to (and I really do now that it’s been so long…haha = )

I’m now wearing a different pair of glasses.  What I originally saw as time-consuming challenges, I now see as sweet simplicities.  Terry and I have also been able to really bond as most daily tasks are two-man work.  It’s so neat that we rely so little on electricity that when it goes out, life continues pretty seamlessly.  I feel so blessed!

3 comments:

  1. I Love Love Love that you are blogging again! And I honestly do not know how you do it, I am pretty sure that I am to much of a baby to live your life. It sounds AMAZING and you are so so brave and just wow to do it, cause I couldn't! I am having fun catching up on your blog!! I am glad you guys are doing so well! I hope I get to meet Terry one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE getting comments from you! You honestly always make me feel like my time is not in vain = ) And you'd be surprised what you can do when you just have to! I've definitely done my fair share of complaining, too...haha...just ask my husband = ) But yeah...it has been a totally awesome experience! And I hope you do, too! Where are you now?

      Delete
  2. I will never complain about doing dishes again :)

    ReplyDelete