Saturday, January 21, 2012

Clean Sweep

I think that’s the name of the show where they go in and clean and organize someone’s super messy home.  Well…I kinda felt like I was on that show today…haha.  Melinda and I are going to tackle that office one area at a time…and today it was the desk.  This probably doesn’t sound like a whole day’s worth of work, but oh my, I can’t believe we finished it!  The desk has two HUGE drawers that were stuffed with the papers…to the point that they couldn’t close.  And papers are thin…they don’t take much room…so you can only imagine how much could fit in those drawers.  We also knew that there were a lot of important papers in there, so we had to go through each one individually (I have no idea how that show does all of their cleaning and organizing and “yard-sale”ing in such a short amount of time!).  We had all these manila folders that we sorted the important papers into, and we had TONS of trash!  At first, it was so tedious, but as we went and stared to see progress, it got to be really quite exciting = )  We also did the same thing to the huge stack under the keyboard (man…I wish I had done that before all of my typing…it’s hard to type with a keyboard balance on an uneven stack of papers…haha = ), the huge stack on the printer, and the huge stack on the right of the desk.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I had such a good lesson in being grateful for what you have, because it could always get worse.  I was typing things out for the lunch lists for the third day in a row, and feeling like it was never going to end.  But then my ‘t’, ‘y’, and ‘backspace’ buttons stopped working.  Man…did that make everything so much more difficult!  When they started working again later in the day, I was so grateful and realized how I easy I had it when the keyboard keys all worked! = )

So back to today…my title is fitting because today was soccer…and I played “sweep”er for part of the game.  Okay…a bit of a stretch…haha…but humor me = )  Anyways…I was SO excited it was Friday again.  After school I changed…and then I waited and waited and didn’t see any of the teachers going out to play (or any of the kids, for that matter, which is so odd because they play after school everyday)).  Melinda was like, “Are they playing?”  And I replied, “I think so.  I hope so!  Where are they?!  I’m gonna be so bummed if we don’t play!”  Anyways…one of the teacher’s, Ralph, came into the office soon after that and asked if I brought my stuff.  Melinda was like, “Yeah, she’s been changed and ready.  Are you guys still playing?”  He was like, “Yeah, we’re waiting for you.”  I didn’t realize I’d been holding my breath waiting for his response…haha…but when he said we were still playing I got SO excited!  Turns out we still didn’t start for a bit because they were trying to get the balls off of the roof.  When  they did…everyone kinda juggled around for awhile - and they are SO good!!!!  Last week I didn’t have a chance to see them doing any type of drill work…but wow are they impressive!  And then my amazement was magnified even more when I got my foot on the ball for the first time and realized it was flat!  They have such light touches that you couldn’t even tell!  So then I tried the other ball…and it was flatter!  Anyways…once we started playing it took a little bit to get used to the flat ball…but it was SO MUCH FUN!!!! = D  After about an hour, all of the other guys (the teachers) except for one wimped out, so he and I kept playing with the kids.  And then just as I was totally pooped and getting the key to leave, these two guys who had been working in the computer lab fixing something (they said they work at the school, but I don’t think I’ve seen them before) said they were ready to play now and wanted me to play again.  I told them I had to leave because I wanted to get home before it got dark, but they said they’d walk me…so I couldn’t say no.  So we played even more!  Man, was that a good workout!  And now I’m paying for it - my body’s so sore (in a good way = ) and my ankle’s killing me (in a bad way…I was stupid and didn’t wear my brace…agggghhhh)!

When I got home I went right to the shower because I was disgusting…and that was so lucky because the power went out right after that, and since their water pump is electricity generated, their water stops working when the power goes out!  What a blessing!  So Mandy and I ate palm nut soup (with beef!) by flashlight (the cell phones here all have really bright flashlights…and mine was totally charged because I had just charged it…another blessing = )  and had a good night of chatting.  But it was really hot because the a/c was out…and you can’t open the windows or else mosquitoes (and lots of dirt) will come in.  Luckily, Chuks has a generator for his place, so somehow he was able to connect a power strip to it that we could use inside the house…so we had a lamp and a standing fan at one point (which I just stood in front of for awhile because my body was still so hot from soccer).  But I’m so tired so I’m pretty sure I’ll have no problem crashing = )

4 comments:

  1. I love soccer days :) I can just imagine how happy that makes you! And the show is called Clean House...sad that I know that ;) And any cute boys??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...that's right...haha = ) I actually meant to mention you, because knowing the way you feel about that show...I knew you'd love doing what we were doing...haha = ) But I guess you must be able to watch it now? And omg...Jules...I have so much to tell you on the boy front! = / I don't wanna get into it tonight with the fam...but I need to call you sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jaclyn,
    Your entry about the Harmattan season reminded me of a different Saharan wind that sometimes blows as far as northern Europe. It's called the Sirocco. I remember clearly that one early spring day in Paris, we woke up with a half-inch coating of red grit all over the cars and everything else outside. I couldn't believe that it had blown all the way from the Sahara, but indeed it did, on the Sirocco. With Ghana being so much closer to the Sahara, I bet your Harmattan makes things dirty indeed.
    Keep up the good work -- and good play! (I mean soccer.)
    Love,
    Uncle David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO WAY!!!! That's crazy how far it traveled! But yeah...that sounds about right. Yesterday we were driving through the city so I got see even more how it's covering everything! And thank you...I will = ) And how do you pronounce Sirocco?

      Delete