Monday, January 30, 2012

Love Can Move Mountains, Baby (you gotta sing the title today = )

I had a really cool experience today.  I’ve been reading in the Teachings of the Prophets book about how loving of a man President George Albert Smith was, and wanting to be more like that.  So I’ve been praying extra hard for charity - to be able to love everyone I meet as a son or daughter of God.  I still don’t know if I’m in Ghana for a specific purpose or not, but I’ve been feeling like whatever it is God wants me to do or become, it won’t be possible without a deeper ability to love.

So anyways…I got an opportunity to practice today…haha = )  I was in the office alone again, and a couple came in who were visibly upset.  The wife was a little calmer and started talking, but the husband kind of cut in and just started letting me have it!  I felt an unbelievable sense of peace and composure as I said a silent prayer.  I went on to apologize for the misunderstanding and explain our policy.  He was still really upset and continued repeating the same things over and over.  Eventually, he seemed to calm down a bit towards me, but then he started getting really mad at his wife (who was the one who had misread the school’s newsletter and thought she couldn’t send her daughter to school until they paid in full).  It was so awkward being in the middle of this fight, and then I started to feel worried because she seemed scared, so I just felt the words come to my mind, “I know she wouldn’t have kept your daughter home on purpose, so it was an honest mistake, and since we can’t go back and change the past, let’s think about what we can do now to make the situation better”…or something like that.  It was so neat because people have such a hard time understanding me…but they just both settled, and in a couple minutes were thanking me as they left the office.  I was shaking once they were gone…but I also felt so happy!  I just knew that the Lord was helping me to be more understanding, compassionate, loving, and patient than I could be on my own = )

Other than that…the biggest news I have is that there was a huge downpour today, as well as on Saturday…and that’s super unusual because it’s the dry season and it usually rains nada during this time.  But the rain was like Hawaii - came suddenly, poured for like ten minutes, and then totally cleared up.  It made the walk so much nicer though = )  I wasn’t sinking into, and kicking up, the dirt the whole time…it packed  it down so nicely = )

Didn't have any pictures to go with today's entry...so decided to include some random pics.  Took these on the way to the wedding reception last weekend.  It's so interesting here; kids don't wear seat belts and babies don't ride in car seats (of course those are generalizations and don't include everyone).  Papa was on my lap in the front, and a cop passed right by us...and nothing.  I was so nervous, though!  And the other day, I saw a car pull into school and the children just kept on coming out, from I don't know where!  I counted 9 in all!...not including the driver.

So he didn't wanna smile...

So I decided to follow his lead = )

4 comments:

  1. You! Are so amazing!! And adorable!! I just finished reading Abby and Scott and Robin's emails, and then read your post. Boy, you are on a mission, baby!! Thank you for you!! Isn't Heavenly Father fantabulous??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You! Are so sweet! Thanks so much mama! And he sure is! = )

      Delete
  2. hahahaha...love the pics :) And what an amazing experience Jac! I am so glad you recorded it because it will be one of those things where you look back and realize how much God loves you :) He always answers our prayers in time but to get an automatic answer is a miracle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true...I hadn't even thought of that. It's funny how when you're going through an experience, it rarely feels memorable, and it's not until you look back that it seems special.

      Delete