Saturday, January 14, 2012

I Really Love Being a Teacher

This is Jendinson
It’s crazy how at home I feel in a classroom!, even if I’m thousands of miles away from home.  I love it when my students learn something new; I love forming relationships with them, like when you go from them seeing you as this strange new person to them giving you a huge smile when they look at you; I love seeing them grow and progress, not just academically, but also physically, socially, emotionally, etc.; I love the sweet innocence and acceptance and kindness and genuineness of children!  One boy, Jendinson, moved here recently from Italy, so he doesn’t understand much English.  Yesterday, he didn’t smile once, he didn’t participate at all, he wouldn’t say a word, even when I put him in time out until he said, “I’m sorry” to a classmate he had hurt (I ended up trying to have him give the boy a hug, which was a fail, so we settled on a high-five = )  Today, by the end of the day, he had participated in “Do As I’m Doing” and “I’m a Little Teapot,” he had smiled, and he had said, “Please” and “Thank You” when I helped him open his snack (after a lot of prompting and prodding…but he said it = )  That’s what I love! = )

It’s funny, because today is my birthday, but I keep forgetting because there just hasn’t been time to think about that kind of stuff.  But still, my sweet students found out (it’s funny, really…one boy told me it was his birthday today, but when I asked him how old he’s turning and that it’s also mine, he told me it’s not really his birthday…and the other kids overheard…haha = ), they kept saying, “Happy birthday,” and “How old are you?”  It was SO sweet! = )

One of my little friends, Eunice, and her
friend Jane
After school we played football…how lucky am I that Friday football landed on my birthday?!  It was even better than I thought = )  But I was definitely feeling the not working out for two weeks thing, especially since we played for two hours straight!  It was so cute…my students and the kids I’ve become friends with were totally tripping - “Onty Jockie’s playin footbowl!” Actually, everyone was surprised…I guess it’s still not common for girls to play here.  But yeah…the guys I played with were really good!  Their foot skills are incredible (uggghhh…so wish I had my ball to do my Manuel drills…I so need them!), as are their one-touches and finishes.  But it was hard because I kinda talk a lot while I play…but I didn’t even bother because they couldn’t even understand me (we use different terms) and I felt bad because I didn’t understand them most of the time.  So yeah…it’ll be good once we figure that out = )  I only wish Jake and Chis were here to play with me!
Another one - Nana...and her brother Papa.
Nana and Eunice come visit me every day, a
couple times a day = )


I got to walk home with Melinda and Charles (Mandy’s like adopted sister and a cousin that lives at her home), which was nice because I got to have people to talk to and because I didn’t feel quite as ridiculous with my cleats and workout clothes on, carrying two huge bags (although I still did get a lot of strange looks…haha…and this guy was hanging out of a tro-tro saying shouting something at me that I couldn’t really hear - it’s rare to see people exercising outside, especially a girl).  And I came home to JOLLOF RICE! = ), cabbage salad, steamed/fried chicken, and ice cream! = )  I swear, Amanda must’ve been cooking all day…trying to make a meal with all of my favorites = )  And they even popped the cork on a bottle of wine (sparkling grape juice…they call it wine) that they’d been saving for a special occasion!  I felt so special = )

And then...out of the like 5 channels I get...there just happened to be an FC Barcelona game on!  Everyone here has a "team"...so I've made Barcelona mine since Messi and Xavi are beast...and Pique's frickin' hot! = )  Unfortunately it changed mid-game to Kardashians...but oh well...I guess it is the 13th after all = )

3 comments:

  1. Seriously I am in love with your pictures!! What adorable children :) I can see you are already falling in love with them! Glad that Mandy and Chi chi are already a family for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! ... sorry am late ... sounds like you had a really fun one! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Maren! And I love reading your comments Jules! = )

    ReplyDelete