Thursday, January 12, 2012

I'm Here! = )

I'm so grateful to say that the travel over was quite uneventful.  No close calls missing flights, no delays, no problems. = )  And on my flight from Brussels to Accra, I sat next to a really nice guy who's been in Ghana for a year and a half with the Peace Corps, so he gave me a lot of good pointers/information and helped me through Customs until I was safely with Mandy, Chuks (her husband), and Chidinma (their adorable one-month-old girl who goes by Chi-Chi for short), so that made me feel a lot more at ease.  
The one unfortunate thing was that they unloaded my baggage in Mali (there aren't enough passengers to fill flights to West Africa, so they always make a stop or two and our stop was in Mali), so when I arrived in Accra they said that I wouldn't be able to get my luggage for two days. = /  I don't know if that's worse for me or for the poor people around me because that means I'll be wearing the same clothes for four days straight!Amanda and Chuks were kind enough to take me to a store to get shower stuff, and then they took me to get dinner - Turkish pizza and oh so good! = )  At another store he went in to grab a couple things, one thing that he said was a surprise that he thought I'd like, and when we got home he pulled out a couple of cans of root beer. = )  So sweet!  We ate, I showered and changed back into my two-day-old clothes - yuck! (well actually, instead of putting back on my pants, I wrapped the sheet that I had around my waist like a beach towel because I traveled with my sweatshirt on, so the pants were the only thing that touched the seats and everything), and now I'm going to bed because I'm SO tired, even though it's only 9:30 (there's no wireless right now so I'm typing this as a  word document and will post it later).
They're apartment is in the building that you can barely see in the back,
on the left side of the rectangle in the middle.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! The first leg of your journey is completed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful family...I am so glad that they are there to take care of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Andrea! = ) And Jules...so true! = )

    ReplyDelete