Thursday, January 12, 2012

My First Day

 Holy cow!  I slept in until 12:30!!!!  I slept for like fifteen hours!!!!  I guess considering I didn't sleep much while traveling, and only slept 3 hours the night before we left (we didn't want to waste the last precious time we had together), it kinda makes sense.  But still, it totally shocked me and I felt really bad!  When I came out Mandy was like, "I was starting to worry about you, but I figured it was just the time difference."  But yeah, I'm sure the super comfortable bed didn't help...haha = )
The complex from the side
This is my bathroom...very European
style with no separate shower stall
                                       
My room = )  Isn't the bedding so cute?!
Actually, everything about my accommodations is grand!  I have my own air-conditioned room with a queen-sized bed and a tv with a dvd player AND my own bathroom!  They live in one of four apartments behind this massive gate.  When you go up the stairs, there's a door that leads onto a large patio, and then there's a front door to the apartment off of that.  Through the door is a huge living room, off to the left is my bedroom door, further down on the left is their bedroom door, and straight ahead is the dining room with a kitchen off of that.
YUM!!!!
Today I watched the master at work in the kitchen as she cooked jollof rice, a really spicy rice dish with tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic, hot peppers, and chicken sausage (I apologized as I was eating around it only to find out it wasn't beef = ).  It was so good!  And no wonder because Mandy said she's been cooking since she was 11 when her older sister went to Sr. High School (most kids board because the Sr. High School's they go to are far away).
Bersa and Chi-Chi
It was fun because we got to share the meal with her cousins, Kesewa (18) and Bersa (16), who came over today to meet Chi-Chi for the first time.  They're leaving on Saturday to go back to school in the Eastern Region so they won't be able to see her again until May.  I'm getting a little idea of how big Accra really is because they also live in Accra but they had to travel 2 1/2 hours by bus to get here (and then walk really far Kesewa said)!  But yeah...it was fun hanging out with them.
And yeah, that's pretty much it for today.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful girl and baby :) And holy cow where you're staying is nice! I see about the dusty though with the road outside of the house...looks like you'll be getting used to some dirt and dust?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really am...haha = ) I've kind of come to terms with being dirty all day, as long as I can be clean at night in my bed = )

    ReplyDelete