Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Dirt and Dust and Germs, Oh My!

The people here are so clean!  The students at school can be seen sweeping every walkway, courtyard, etc. every morning!  On my walk to school, I pass by ladies sweeping the porches in front of their little stores, and I even saw a lady sweeping the dirt path in front of her stand.  It’s understandable because things get unbelievable dirty in such a short amount of time…but it would be so tedious and feel so pointless I would think, and yet they do it happily.  In the classroom, the teacher’s assistant would sweep the classroom before we came in, after break, after lunch, and then sweep and mop at the end of the day.  In the office…there’s a paintbrush so that we can dust the keyboard and computer frequently.  And Mandy thoroughly rinses every dish before using it…even if it’s recently been washed.

However, soap, hand sanitizer, and disinfecting wipes aren’t commonly used.  In elementary schools at home, hand sanitizer is right up there in importance with pens and pencils…haha…and we’re washing our hands with soap and hand sanitizing all the time!  And like...I totally wish I could disinfect the keyboard and mouse, not just dust them...but I'm coming to terms...haha = )  Also, the sinks (even kitchen sinks) don’t have a hot and cold setting - there’s just one knob and one temperature…you’d love that, huh Daniel ; )  I just love coming home at the end of the day and washing my hands with soap…haha = )

Oh my gosh…it was so funny!  I came home one day and one of the little neighbor girls came up to me and grabbed my hand (they love to stare at and touch my hands and feet = )  As she was rubbing it, she was getting all this black stuff on it - like charcoal or something.  She looked so perplexed as she looked back at her hand because she couldn’t see it on her hand - it only showed up when it was on my white skin…haha = )  Then she looked up at me with this face that just about broke my heart; it was this look of horror, like, “What have I done?!”…and ran away = (  But I ran after her and showed her it was fine to keep holding my hand, even though she was still hesitant. Anyways…random…but talking about cleaning my hands reminded me of it = )

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet little girl :) Poor thing!! And I would go crazy...the Lord must be helping you lots :)

    ReplyDelete