The past couple of days have been a little difficult. As my sweet, sensitive mother noticed (although I thought I was hiding it well)…I’ve been feeling kind of down. I remember my student teaching mentor preparing us for our time in D.C., going through the stages of “culture shock” with us. I don’t remember them exactly, but I think it’s safe to say that I may be coming out of the honeymoon stage, and so I’ve been experiencing feelings of frustration with some things.
Without going into them, I also am learning the truth to that saying, “The more you learn, the less you know”…or something like that. I’m realizing that a lot of my frustrations have stemmed from lack of understanding…and the more I’m learning, the more I’m realizing that things I’ve been frustrated with have just been due to not knowing enough about the ways and the culture and the people here.
I’m also learning that being here has had a lot of wonderful effects on me.
For one, because things here can be so unpredictable (whether or not we have running water, electricity, drinking water, toilet paper, soap, etc.), I’ve had to learn how to not be so stuck in my routines (and you know how I love my routines…so this has been so good for me!). Also, I don’t have a mirror in my room or bathroom, and there are no mirrors in the bathroom or rooms at school, so it’s helped me to be less concerned with how I look. Third, I’ve learned how to be more humble. Realizing that the way I do things isn’t necessarily the best way, learning that I should listen more and teach less, learning that it’s through the guidance of the Spirit that I’m able to truly make a positive difference.
I don’t think I’m going to leave here going, “That’s why I needed to go to Ghana!” I think it’s going to be all of these little lessons and changes that are going to be the reason why I needed to come.
I decided to just include some fun, random pics that I've taken = ) Oh...and I added videos to Saturday's entry...forgot to include them when I first posted it
| The women here all carry their babies like this...still don't understand how they keep them on...it's amazing! And usually they're also carrying some huge load on their head!...so incredible! |
| There are just like tons of goats! These are just chillin' on the side of the road on a front porch...haha = ) |
| I'm telling you...it defies gravity what they carry on their head! |
| How cool is this! Instead of a bell...someone plays these drums to announce recess, lunch, etc. The best is at the end of the day...I feel like I'm in PCC = ) |
| You find this written all over!...haha = ) I actually saw a guy just peeing on the side of the road. This sign happens to be right across the lane from my place. |
| The sun here is amazing (when it's out...the sky is surprisingly gray and dull)! I love how this kind of looks like a music staff = ) |
So sorry you are feeling a little blue Jac but I hope it is just another of the many stages you will have in this process!! We love you soo soo much :)
ReplyDeleteThank you soo soo much! = ) No worries though...I'm already feeling so much better today!= ) It's funny...I looked it up and the description of culture shock has been like a perfect match for me so far! LOVE YOU TOO!!!!
DeleteMan, sweets, I think this last photo could win a contest, especially if you had the music staff idea and the fact that it's in Ghana in the title of it!! Of course, I don't know much about photography - haha!
ReplyDeleteWow...that's so sweet!...thanks mom! Definitely made me smile! = ) I loved the pic, too...but I thought it was just me...haha
Delete